MASC Legislative Bulletins contain information relating to actions taken by the Massachusetts Legislature on important legislation and the state budget process as it pertains to education funding.
Legal Alert - Legality of Certain School Committee Expenditures/Role of SRO's
MASC General Counsel Stephen Finnegan has released a new legal alert regarding:
- The legality of school committee expenditures to defray the expenses of a lawsuit to compel adequate funding for K-12 education
- The recently released Attorney General's Office, the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security and DESE model memorandum of understanding governing the role of School Resource Officers
Legal Alert - Janus v. AFSCME
MASC General Counsel Stephen Finnegan has released a legal alert regarding the recent Janus v. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Supreme Court decision, including a summary of the decision and an advisory from Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey .
Legal Alert - Student Walkouts and Mass Protests
MASC General Counsel Stephen Finnegan has released a legal alert regarding student walkouts and mass protests in schools, including detailed guidance for school districts from the National School Boards Association.
Legal Alert - Boelter v. Board of Selectman of Wayland
MASC General Counsel Stephen Finnegan has released a legal alert regarding the Boelter v. Board of Selectman of Wayland (SJC- 12353) case, in which the Town Administrator’s Evaluation by Selectmen that followed the longstanding practice was found by the Supreme Judicial Court to violate the Open Meeting Law. The decision must be adhered to by School Committees when evaluating the Superintendent.
Legislative Bulletin - Senate Ways & Means Budget Proposal (May 18, 2018)
On May 10, 2018, the Massachusetts Senate Ways & Means Committee released its FY2019 Budget recommendations, which include proposals regarding:
- Chapter 70 Funding
- Special Education Circuit Breaker
- Regional School Transportation
- Charter School Reimbursement
- Homeless Student Transportation
- Expanded Learning Time Grants
- Adult Basic Education
- Recovery High Schools
- and more